Event 1


On Thursday April 5th 2018, I went to a lunchtime lecture by renowned sound artist, Bill Fontana Acoustical Visons at Broad Arts room. Since I am an electrical engineering student, I never had an opportunity to go to very North side of the campus and visit the Broad Art room. When I walked in to the room, the classroom was very enormous and majestic, it was like a theater.


Because this event was 1PM and my class ended at 12:50PM on the South side of the campus, I was a little late to the event. Since it was first time visiting this building I was having hard time finding the classroom as well. When I walked in very quietly to the room, there were very weird sound tickling my ears. I quickly sat down and was spaced out by imposing sounds. I remember he played us the sound of the under the bridge and car passing by. Every time a car passed by there was sound mixtures of air crossing sound, sound of car’s engine, and some wave of the bridge shaking. When I walk on the street, I hear the “vroom” sound whenever a car passes by me. However, this sound from under the bridge was different from what I can hear from the side walk.


There was other moment during the event, he played three different aspects of the top of the bridge with different climates. There were one with regular day, one with under water, and one with windy day. It was the same view and same spot but the sound was different from the different environment. In my physics class I learned that frequency and wavelength are directly related to each other and those frequency and wavelengths are what makes sound. With different wavelength, caused by the environment, makes the different pitch and different sound.


So far in class I was taught that science and arts are related to each other. I believe that sound is very important aspects of science and it can be related to art. Some people want to see the soundwave directly, so they put fine sand on top of the huge speaker and see how sand shape changes. When I saw that I was fascinated that I can “see” the sound and was visually satisfied. I haven’t learned about how sound and art are related but this can help me on the midterm or final that not only hardware systems are art related but something we cannot see can be related to art. I would recommend this event to many of other students, because they will have different perspective of sound and focus on the daily sound after listening to his lecture.


(I don't have picture of my face in this event because my phone broke after I attended this event. These are extra pictures from my friend, but I swear I went to the event and took my own pictures with my face included. I cannot physically prove that I was at the event, but I remember that the snacks were on the right side of the room right infront of the door. Professor was sitting on the front row on the very left side. Bill Fontana was very quiet so professor gave him the mic in the middle of his lecture. At the end students asked questions and one of the questions were did he actually go there and put mic? and he answered yes.)

댓글

이 블로그의 인기 게시물

Week 4: MedTech + Art

Week 2: Math + Art

Week 1: Two Cultures